Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is managed through special collections here in the county. Collections are advertised via postcards to taxpayers and through the local radio station and newspapers. During the special collections the collection site is at 20 2nd St SE across from the athletic fields in Ortonville. If residents miss the collection, they can dispose of HHW at the regional facility located in Willmar, MN  you can also give them a call at (320) 231-3587 or email [email protected] for more info about their facilities. 

Used oil, oil filters, antifreeze can be also disposed of at 20 2nd St SE at any time.

Rechargeable batteries, cellphones, and ink cartridges can be brought to the office free of charge. 

The Big Stone County Environmental office has an ongoing collection of bulbs at state contract prices for anyone needing to dispose of their bulbs. Bring them to the office in the courthouse or if you have a substantial amount, call ahead to meet at the storage garage.

Fluorescent Prices

  • <4'- 4 ' Standard Fluorescent Bulbs - $0.35/ea
  • <8 - 8' Standard Fluorescent Bulbs - $0.70/ea
  • Compact Fluorescent Lamps - $0.70/ea
  • High Intensity Discharge Lamps - $2.30/ea
  • Shatter-Shield - $2.30/ea
  • U-Bend and Circular Fluorescent Bulbs - $0.70/ea
  • Broken Fluorescent Bulbs per pound - $2.30/lb
  • Neon Lamps net per pound - $5.70/lb
  • Incandescent Bulbs - $0.40/ea
  • Non-PCB Ballast - Save for recycling day
  • PCB Ballast- $1.85/lb
*Bulbs that are not boxed up with the bulb count on the box will be charged $0.10/bulb handling fee.