Mental Health


All children have both physical health needs and mental health needs.  It is sometimes hard for parents to know if a behavior is normal or if it is part of a deeper problem.  Anger, fear, sadness, withdrawal, or opposition to authority are emotions felt and expressed by most children and adolescents.  For a child who is struggling emotionally, these negative behaviors may be displayed with greater intensity, more often, and often with less provocation.  Children’s Mental Health Services are a voluntary service provided by Big Stone County Family Services for children 0 to 18 years of age who have an emotional disturbance and who meet certain qualifications for services.  County workers can assist you and your child to:

  • Determine if any mental health problems exist
  • Help you find a qualified mental health professional to assess your child
  • Work with your mental health professional to gather the necessary paperwork for qualification

As a parent raising children can be a difficult task as it is but when dealing with children that have emotional or behavioral problems obtaining the right help can make things less difficult for themselves as well as for the child.

Most children go through periods during their growth in dealing with their home life, school and with classmates and friends.  During most of these times the parents can successfully help and support their children with any issues that do arise.  The following signs though when experienced on a frequent basis are often signs where there may be reason enough to consult with your child's doctor or with a mental health professional:

  • Frequent feelings of depression, unhappiness, or despair
  • Feelings of anxiety or significant mood swings
  • Frequent periods of confusion or forgetfulness
  • Lack of interest in family, friends, or activities they used to enjoy
  • Destruction of property
  • Difficulty with concentration at school and other activities
  • Inability to create or sustain friendships with other children
  • Angry and belligerent behavior

Adult Mental Health

Big Stone County Family Services provides case management for adults, people ages 18 and older, with a Serious and Persistent Mental Illness.  The case managers (social workers) help by providing resources and referrals for psychiatric services, therapy, and other services that will support them in the community.  Case managers provide ongoing mental health support through telephone contacts and face to face visits in the community. Most mental health case management services are provided on a voluntary basis.
You may apply for Adult Mental Health Case Management by calling Big Stone County Family Services between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at 320-839-2555.
For more information on mental health:
Southwestern Minnesota Adult Mental Health Consortium


24/7 Mobile Crisis Team:  1-800-992-1716
Please call 911 if you need immediate assistance

To make a referral for Mental Health Services, please call Big Stone County Family Services between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at 320-839-2555